'Making a Difference: Social Sciences & Impact' Conference
University of Oxford, the Open University, Oxford Brookes and Reading Universities are jointly hosting a conference on 19 April 2018 at St Anne’s College, Oxford on the topic of research impact, open to members of the four host universities.
The word ‘impact’ is everywhere we turn, but what does it mean for you and your research? And what does it take to make a difference in the world outside academia?
This free one-day conference aims to examine these questions and more. The conference will celebrate engaged and impactful research in the social sciences, and provide inspiration and support for researchers hoping to make a difference through their work.
The conference is aimed at researchers of all career stages (including DPhil/PhD students, research staff and academics) and the professional colleagues who support them. The programme will comprise a mixture of invited external speakers and session leaders, contributors from the four host universities and external non-academic partner organisations.
This event is free to attend and is brought to you through the generous support of the University of Oxford ESRC Impact Acceleration Account with in kind support from the four partner universities.
More information on the programme to follow soon.
Register to express interest in attending (full registration to follow)
Call for contributions
The call for contributions is now closed. We will be in touch by the end of February if your proposal has been successful.
We are looking for contributions to our exhibition space, either posters, project outputs, videos, or stands. Get in touch for more details.
- Professor Mark Pollard, Professor of Archaeological Science, Associate Head of Research, Social Sciences Division, University of Oxford and interim Chair of the Oxford ESRC IAA.
- Professor Alis Oancea, Professor of Philosophy of Education and Research Policy, Director of Research, Oxford University Department of Education and Senior Academic Advisor for research impact for the University of Oxford.
- Dr Alex Goody, Professor of Twentieth-Century Literature, Department of English and Modern Languages and Oxford Brookes University Impact Lead.
- Professor Patrick McAndrew, Professor of Open Education and Director of the Institute of Educational Technology (IET) in The Open University.
- Dr Carol Fuller, Associate Professor, Senior Academic Manager and Research Impact Lead, Institute of Education, University of Reading.