Academic Appointments (HR)
The Academic Appointments team manages:
- Associate Professorship posts
- Statutory Professorship posts in conjunction with the Senior Appointments Team (Personnel Services)
- Requests to confer the title of Visiting Professor
- Appointments to Statutory Visiting Professorships
The team oversees the management of appointments to the grade of Associate Professor and the lifecycle of the post and employee thereafter. These are joint appointments where there is an association with a college.
In conjunction with the University’s Senior Appointments team, the Academic Appointments team is also involved in the establishment and recruitment to statutory Professorships.
In cases where departments propose the conferral of the title of Visiting Professor on an individual, the approval of the title and issuing of conferral letters is managed by the Academic Appointments team.
There are also a small number of statutory Visiting Professorships which the team deal with on an annual basis.
APPOINTMENTS TO THE GRADE OF ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR
The team is involved in all stages of the academic appointments process for the grade of Associate Professor. This includes:
- giving approval to establish such posts or to release vacant posts for refilling
- advertising posts
- issuing contracts for newly-appointed academic staff
- managing the reappointment procedures following the initial period of office
- administering the sabbatical leave scheme
- absences from work (maternity, paternity, sickness, secondments)
- administering the academic appraisal scheme
- managing requests to work beyond the Employer Justified Retirement Age
- managing cases where there is an exceptional need to retain a member of staff and providing advice on various HR issues relating to academic staff
The division works closely with departments at all of these stages.